11 Things to Do on Daufuskie Island in the Fall (September, October, November)
“Dear Fall on Daufuskie Island, you are never close enough” – I said that!
1. Keep swimming! Enjoy the cooler less humid air and the continuation of warm very swimmable water with an average sea temperature of 80 degrees.
2. Fishing is on fire with massive hungry schools of speckled sea trout and beautiful redfish surrounding the island. If you can’t catch fish on Daufuskie Island in October, you should probably find another hobby. Of course, you can always charter a trip if you need a little help.
3. With kids back in school, our island has far less visitors making Daufuskie feel like a very private island which is perfect for sunrise and sunset walks on the beach. Couples, the island is all yours!
4. Visit the islands artisans which consist of a pottery studio, metal art gallery, indigo dying studio, woodworking shop and a soap maker. All small businesses are still fully open during fall months on Daufuskie!
5. Save money on Daufuskie Island short term rentals as rates typically drop a bit in October.
6. Go have a coffee or espresso at School Grounds coffee house where you can almost guarantee learning great things about the island from Daufuskie locals.
7. Have lunch at Lucy Bell’s or dinner at the Daufuskie Island Crab Company, both Daufuskie eateries are open year round.
8. Go to www.tourdaufuskie.com to see what types of locally guided tours are available. Usually Tour Daufuskie’s tours have fewer people on them in the fall which offer a very intimate and personal experience that you could never get during the summer months.
9. Rent kayaks or paddle boards and explore the rivers and creeks less traveled. Kayak rentals also are available through Tour Daufuskie.
10. Bring your bikes, the weather is great. We don’t recommend bikes as a primary means of touring Daufuskie due to how spread out everything is. However, if you are lucky enough to be renting a home on the island, bring a bike or make sure you rent a place that offers bikes. Bicycling is a great way to take short explorative trips around Daufuskie.
11. Relax and enjoy the peace and quiet. This makes every list of our “things to do on Daufuskie”. Life is hectic and while your on a Daufuskie Island vacation, take advantage of what we don’t have, hustle or bustle!