Daufuskie Island is a place to unplug, unwind, and escape the day-to-day buzz. That being said, you may be looking for some activities to balance your down-time while on the island. Here are our top picks for activities on Daufuskie Island:
1. Take a yoga class! Yoga is offered Sundays 9:30-10:30am and Thursdays 4:30-5:30pm. Classes are held at the Melrose Fitness Center, which is located next to the Melrose Restaurant. To reserve your spot, email Laura Winholt at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Hit the water with on a kayak or paddle board. Daufuskie’s waters are teeming with wildlife, so you may have encounters with dolphins, bald eagles, osprey, and wading birds. If you’re new to kayaking and want some security on the water, take a guided kayak tour with Tour Daufuskie. Our experienced kayak guide will take you to creeks and inlets that you wouldn’t access on your own. On the other hand, if you want to do some unguided paddling, go for a kayak or paddle board rental and hit the ocean from our Kayak Shack in the Melrose Resort! Call for reservations.
5. Volunteer at the Daufuskie Island Community Farm! Contact Pat at email@example.com to find out about any group work days. Don’t feel like working? Check out the farm anyways and grab a self-guided tour at the Welcome Center.
6. Grab your binoculars and try bird-watching at the Melrose Rookery. Here you’ll find a variety of species including Wood Storks, Egrets, Herons, Cormorants, and Anhingas.
7. Love horses? Go horseback riding with Haig Point Equestrian Center!
8. Explore Daufuskie Island’s historic district! Visit the Billie Burn Historic Museum & Gullah Learning Center, the First Union African Baptist Church, Maryfields School, Bloody Point Lighthouse, and more!