Before booking, allow us to help you on choosing a rental property on Daufuskie Island.
There is not a hotel or inn on Daufuskie. The only option for overnight guests are privately owned vacation rental homes. Luckily, Daufuskie boasts a plethora of options. But there is a lot involved in renting over here.
To help you in choosing a vacation rental, take a look at our tips and secrets so that your vacation is seamless!
- Does the rental property come with a cart? This is a BIG ONE!To explore the island, you must have a golf cart. Otherwise you will be stranded at your property. We promise, it is necessary. If the property does not come with a cart, or a cart large enough for everyone in your party, be sure to reserve one right away! Overnight golf cart rentals can book up months in advance.
- Is the cart gas powered or electric? Be warned, the electric carts do not do well on the dirt roads. They require numerous hours to charge and lose power quickly. Although gas powered carts are not allowed in Haig Point, a private community on Daufuskie, they tend to last longer and stand up better to the exploring most island visitors do.
- If a cart is provided, is it owned by the property owner or outsourced to a company? This may not seem like a big deal, but if something happens and the cart breaks down during your visit, will a back up be provided? This is especially true in our busy season. Carts break and most rental companies are booked out weeks in advance. Be prepared!
- Does the rental property allow for eating at home? There are three restaurants on Daufuskie. Lucy Bell’s is only open for lunch, Daufuskie Crab Company and Melrose Beach Club serve lunch and dinner. Plan on breakfast on your own at the very least. Double check that the property comes with ample kitchen supplies. Also double check when they are open, as it can vary based on the time of year.
- Where is the rental property located? Usually the address to the rental property isn’t provided right away. However, you’ll need to know where you are staying in order to set up transportation from the dock to your rental. Take a look at the pictures advertised. Is is on a dirt road in the historic district? Are you close to the beach? Something easy to ask the rental agent to make things a bit smoother!
- Does this rental property provide outdoor activity equipment? When you have to bring everything over on a boat, you must think about what is necessary and what is not. Beach chairs, tents, bikes, kayaks, etc are bulky and difficult to get to Daufuskie. Ask the rental agent if these things are provided. If not, take a look at our beach day options! We offer overnight rentals on beach equipment for island visitors.
The more you know before booking, the better! We hope these questions help when you’re trying to decide where to rent.